account_circle
Register
menu
person
Premium Avatar
Log in
Register
Zverev clay-court horror show continues with Italian Open exit
© afp.com/Andreas SOLARO

Zverev clay-court horror show continues with Italian Open exit

Published by , Tuesday 05/14/19 19:06

Germany's Alexander Zverev crashed out of the Italian Open on Tuesday with a 7-5, 7-5 loss to Italian wild card Matteo Berrettini in the second round.

"The match that I played was horrendous," said Zverev after the game which took 1hr 48min on the red clay of the Foro Italico.

Zverev, the 2017 winner and runner-up in Rome last year to Novak Djokovic, has had a terrible start to the clay-court season with the French Open starting on May 26.

The 22-year-old lost his Madrid Open title last week, falling in the quarter-finals of both Madrid and Munich to Stefanos Tsitsipas and Cristian Garin respectively.

The German has yet to win a trophy this season and stands 4-6 on clay this spring.

Zverev had been seeded fourth in the final clay-court warm-up before Roland Garros, and was playing his first game having received a first-round bye.

Last year, Zverev reached the final in Rome beating Berrettini there in their only previous meeting.

But the 33rd-ranked Italian has been on form capturing his second ATP title on clay in Budapest last month, and reached the final in Munich.

Zverev started with a break in the second set, but lost this advantage immediately.

The 33rd-ranked Italian survived four break points, breaking the German in the twelfth game to close 7-5 to the delight of the home crowd.

Berrettini will play Argentine Diego Schwartzman, who eased past Yoshihito Nishioka 6-1, 6-4 in 73 minutes.

- Wawrinka Woes -

Belgian David Goffin rallied from a set down to beat former French Open champion Stan Wawrinka in three sets and advance to the second round.

The 28-year-old Goffin won through 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 in 1hr 55min against the three-time Grand Slam winner to set up a meeting with Argentine seventh seed Juan Martin Del Potro for a place in the third round.

Ninth seed Marin Cilic beat Italian wild card Andrea Basso 6-1, 7-5 as Australian Nick Kyrgios needed three sets to get past Russian 12th seed Daniil Medvedev.

"I knew it was going to be tough today because I haven't played much on clay," said Kyrios, who next plays Norwegian qualifier Casper Ruud.

Portgual's Joao Sousa saved four match points in the deciding set to battle past American Frances Tiafoe 6-3, 6-7 (3/7), 7-6 (7/4).

Sousa, who also trailed 1/4 in the deciding set tie-break, will play third seed Roger Federer in the second round.

Eight-time Rome winner Rafael Nadal will start his tournament against Jeremy Chardy in the second round after the Frenchman beat compatriot Richard Gasquet 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 in a match suspended overnight on Monday.

Source: AFP

Latest comments comments
What a childish discussion. Nobody read my comment properly. Nadal was superior throughout the entire week and he is the one who deserved the title the most. Period. My point was that we would have watched a much more interesting match if Đoković hadn't been as exhausted as he was. I never ever said Đoković would have won, just because Nadal was playing the way he played. The problem is that many of you don't really enjoy watching tennis for the sake of how interesting and thrilling it can get. You just want to see a destruction. Very few of you have remained true tennis fans.
Pixxi Pixxi il y a 4 minutes
He's being a bit melodramatic isn't he? "I had a lot of low moments", come on man
George Stavrinides George Stavrinides il y a 12 minutes
Too soon for Delpo
varun alluri varun alluri il y a 7 heures
When it's working it's a thing of beauty.
christinenelles88 christinenelles88 il y a 8 heures
Djoke should take lessons on how to hit an overhead shot. He lacks finesse. And since Rafa's is best he might start there.
christinenelles88 christinenelles88 il y a 8 heures
Ok got it.. Tt is a but hurt Novak fan 🙏
ravikirankb ravikirankb il y a 12 heures